The Special Programme provides support to developing countries and countries with economies in transition to enhance their sustainable institutional capacity to develop, adopt, monitor and enforce policy, legislation and regulation for effective frameworks for the implementation of the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions, the Minamata Convention and SAICM.
The Special Programme intends to support country-driven institutional strengthening at the national level, in the context of an integrated approach to address the sustainable financing of sound management of chemicals and wastes, taking into account, national development strategies, plans and priorities of each country, to increase sustainable public institutional capacity for the sound management of chemicals and wastes throughout their life cycle.
The position is located in the Economy Division, Chemicals and Health Branch, Secretariat of the Special Programme, at the Geneva duty station. Under the overall supervision of the Head of the Chemicals and Health Branch, and the daily supervision of the Programme Management Officer of the Special Programme Secretariat, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Participates in the funding rounds of the Special Programme; undertakes qualitative and technical analysis of the proposed projects, focusing in particular on monitoring and evaluation arrangements, assists in developing and monitoring project agreements with recipient countries; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Spearheads the implementation of the monitoring, evaluation and learning strategy of the Special Programme, including providing technical assistance to recipient countries, undertaking outreach activities, conducting training workshops and seminars; participates in or leads field missions, including providing guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties, drafting missions summaries, etc; review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies; undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyses and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
- Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.; provides substantive support to meetings of the Executive Board and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Performs any other duties as may required.