The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. This position is located in Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia under the authority of UNEP West Asia. The Programme Officer reports to the Saudi Environment Sustainability Programme Manager. The focus of the job is to lead the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of activities to enhance institutional and regulatory capacities in the environment sector through the review of the institutional framework and organizational structures of the ministry of environment, the executive centers and the development of tools and mechanisms to measure their performance in support for Saudi Arabia’s National Environment Strategy. Within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Develop, implements and evaluates institutional and regulatory capacities for environment entities in Saudi Arabia with the framework of the respective component as highlighted in the UNEP Saudi Programme, etc.; monitor and analyze activity development and implementation; develop, review and finalize relevant documents and reports; identify problems and issues to be addressed and initiate corrective actions; liaise with relevant parties and ensure follow-up actions.
- Establish a mechanism and timeframe for the review of the reform process related to the environment sector structures with clear milestones and in accordance with their new functions.
- Perform advisory and consulting assignments, in collaboration with the Ministry of Environment, by planning and facilitating workshops and trainings through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the Ministry will use to manage the change.
- Research, analyze and present strategies and reports on the proposed reform of the environmental sector and proposed revisions of the institutional and regulatory capacities and frameworks.
- Coordinate and support policy and strategy development with regard to environment policy, planning and management, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
- Report regularly on the institutional review and its implementation status to the programme management and government of Saudi Arabia, as appropriate.
- Generate survey initiatives; design data collection and presentation tools; review, analyse and interpret responses, identify problems/issues and prepare conclusions and recommendations.
- Organize and prepare written outputs on institutional and regulatory capacity building at the individual, institutional and systemic levels, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provide substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Initiate and coordinate outreach activities; conduct training workshops, seminars, etc.; make presentations on institutional performance and regulations as well as other assigned topics and activities such as policy and strategy development, environmental law and regulations, environment effectiveness and performance, stakeholders’ engagement, etc.
- Lead and participates in field missions to Saudi Arabia, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
- Coordinate activities related to budget funding for the assigned activities (component) on environmental institutions, policies and regulations in terms of preparation and submissions of new concepts, substantive progress reports and financial statements, etc., and prepare related documents and reports (e.g. concepts, pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Perform other duties as required.