The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
This position is located at the United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP), Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific, Bangkok, Thailand.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Resource Efficiency Coordinator, and overall supervision of the Regional Director and the Head of the project “Global Opportunities for Sustainable Development Goals (GO4SDGs) as a second reporting officer. The incumbent will be responsible for the regional implementing the GO4SDGs and will seek to build on UNEP’s leading knowledge, partnerships and programs. The focus of these jobs is the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Go4 SDGs programme. Within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of the regional activities and implementation of the Project Go4SDGS; monitors and analyzes project implementation.
- Reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Work with UN Country Teams, Regional and Sub-regional bodies including Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and South Asia Co-operative Environment Programme (SACEP) to develop and implement the activities under GO4SDGs project.
- Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with internal and external partners, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing action plans that Governments, private sector and youth and universities networks will use to manage the change.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
- Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies related to sustainable consumption and production, circularity and inclusive green economy.
- Undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
- Prepares various written outputs, draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, and inputs to publications.
- Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations.
- Undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Participates in or lead field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries.
- Coordinates activities related to budget and funding and prepares related documents/reports.
- Performs other duties as required, related to the resource efficiency portfolio in the region.