Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
Established in April 2012, the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES) has a membership of over 130 Governments (see www.ipbes.net) and seeks to respond to the needs of governments and other stakeholders to strengthen the science-policy interface on biodiversity and ecosystem services.
This job opening is for two positions that are located at the IPBES Secretariat at the Bonn duty station in Germany. Under the overall supervision of the Executive Secretary of IPBES, the incumbents will be responsible for the following functions:
1. Support the overall coordination and delivery of the IPBES work programme as approved by the IPBES Plenary, supporting the Multidisciplinary Expert Panel (MEP), and any other subsidiary bodies or structures established by the Plenary to ensure that deliverables are met within the specific timeline and budget indicated by the Plenary.
2. Provide technical and scientific support to the deliverables in the IPBES work programme, with a specific focus on the coordination of work related to the IPBES assessments, and the task forces.
3. Provide substantive backstopping to IPBES meetings and workshops (in particular meetings related to the IPBES assessments), including developing agendas, identifying participants, preparation of background research and documents, meeting reports and presentations, etc.
4. Support the outreach activities, including ensuring that up-dated information on the IPBES work programme and related processes are available on the IPBES website in a timely manner.
5. Support the organization of IPBES Plenary sessions and IPBES Bureau and MEP meetings, in particular by writing information and working documents for those meetings.
6. Coordinate activities related to the work programme budget and legal agreements (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, among others) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, among others).
7. Support the monitoring and evaluation work of the Platform as advised by the Plenary.
8. Perform other related duties as required.