The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP’s Law Division works with international and non-governmental organizations, national and local governments, business and industry to develop and implement policies, strategies and practices that are cleaner and safer, incorporate environmental costs, use natural resources efficiently, reduce pollution and risks for humans and the environment, and enable the implementation of Conventions and international Agreements. This position is located in the OzonAction, Latin America and Caribbean Office in Panama. Under the direct supervision of the Head of Branch, OzonAction, Law Division and the overall supervision of the Regional Director for Latin America and Caribbean, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
– PROGRAMME MANAGEMENT
• Develops, implements and evaluates the annual Compliance Assistance Programme (CAP) work programme for the Caribbean region as well as projects under the Multilateral Fund; monitors and analyzes the programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and identifies and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant partners; ensures follow-up actions.
• Provides policy and technical assistance to countries for the implementation of the approved projects, in collaboration with the National Ozone Units of countries, by planning/ facilitating national consultation meetings, training workshops, and assisting in developing the national phase-out and/or phase-down strategy to assist the countries with complying to the Montreal Protocol and its amendments.
• Guides relevant national surveys on the use of the controlled substances and alternate substances, assist countries to design data collection tools, review, analyze data collected, and identify problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
• Designs and assists in the organization of network meetings, regional thematic workshops etc., including agenda development, identifying participants and experts, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
• Leads and/or participates in country supervision missions, provides guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and draft mission reports/summaries, etc.
• Overseer to the management of the budget funding of approved projects and prepares related documents/reports.
– CONSULTING SERVICE TO PARTNERS
• Researches, analyzes and presents information on the use and development trends of the controlled substances under the Montreal Protocol, as well as suitable technical and policy options to phaseout/phasedown the production and consumption;
• Coordinates the review of the national Montreal Protocol policies and legislation and their enforcement, analyzes issues and trends, prepares recommendation/advice for improvement.
• Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, related to the CAP activities. Identifies new areas for inputs to the UNEP Business plan and work plan process.
– Perform other related duties as assigned.