The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. The overall objective of UNEP’s Economy Division is to encourage decision makers in government, local authorities and industry to develop and adopt policies, strategies and practices and technologies that promote sustainable patterns of consumption and production, make efficient use of natural resources, ensure safe management of chemicals and contribute to making trade and environment policies mutually supportive.The Division promotes the development, use and transfer of policies, technologies, economic instruments, managerial practices and other tools that assist in environmentally sound decision making and the building of corresponding activities. Please review internet address (http://www.unenvironment.org). The position is located in the Consumption and Production unit of the Resources and Markets Branch, Economy Division, Paris duty station.
Within delegated authority, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Participates in the identification and development, of programmes/initiatives/ projects, which enable to create coordination and synergies on the delivery of Sustainable Consumption and Production (SCP) across UNEP’s Medium-Term Strategy (MTS) etc.; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Performs consulting assignments, engaging UNEP’s colleagues leading the delivery of the thematic, strategic and enabling sub-programmes and regional offices, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing efforts to facilitate the inclusion of SCP across the sub-programmes.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
- Undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions which will support a higher uptake of SCP across UNEP’s MTS and its sub-programmes.
- Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc. related to SCP and its mainstreaming in UNEP’s MTS and Programme of Work (PoW), to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Performs other duties as required.