Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. This post is located in UNEP, West Asia Office at the Manama duty station. Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director and the direct supervision Regional Montreal Protocol Coordinator of the OzonAction Programme of UNEP’s West Asia Office, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
• Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
• Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
• Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources. Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies; prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
• Undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Participates in or lead field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
• Manages the activities related to budget and funding of approved (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports.
• Undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
• Supports countries in developing, improving, adopting and enforcing the Montreal Protocol relevant legislation, policies and licensing system; works with governments in the region to identify priorities for strengthening their existing policies to sustain compliance with the obligations of the Montreal Protocol.
• Supports developing national and regional policies to cover customs authorities and related stakeholders to prevent illegal trade and promote countries to monitor/report instances in accordance with Meeting of the Parties (MOP) decisions.
• Supports the regional and sub-regional economic/customs organizations to promote regional monitoring and control of Ozone Depleting Substances (ODS}, develop and implement Regional Enforcement Network for Customs officers.
• Identifies and supports countries in noncompliance, to return to compliance and ensures its sustainability; analyzes the status of countries concerning the implementation of Montreal Protocol and identify countries at risk of being in noncompliance.
• Assists countries in responding to the Ozone Secretariat on information required by Implementation Committee (ImpCom); works with governments and other stakeholders to develop plans of action.
• Liaises with Ozone Secretariat, Multilateral Fund Secretariat and Implementing Agencies on implementation of activities and projects; ensures the proper implementation of action plan.
• Performs other relevant duties as required.