The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP’s Policy and Programme Division performs strategic planning, coordination and monitoring of UNEP’s programmes as well as coordinates UNEP’s engagement with the wider UN system and global processes. This post is located in the Programme Performance Support Unit of the Policy and Programme Division, at the Nairobi duty station. The Programme Performance Support Unit leads UNEP’s work on programme monitoring, corporate performance reporting, monitoring, and reporting on implementation of UNEA resolutions and strengthening capacity for related evidence-based data management and reporting. Under the overall guidance of the Senior Programme Officer for Monitoring in Policy and Programme Division, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Coordinates the monitoring and reporting process of the portfolio of UNEP initiatives, including providing a quality assurance of data reported, identifying issues requiring attention in the design and implementation of the portfolio, and proposing actions to improve internal business processes and delivery of results. Coordinates teams across the organization to ensure UNEP’s data reported meets the needs of different audiences and lead the preparation of programme performance reports for senior management and Governing Bodies.
• Contribute to the design and use of better business intelligence systems, processes and tools that UNEP requires to assist teams across the organization to access and utilize the data and information they need to effectively and adaptively manage their programmes and projects.
• Coordinates the teams in UNEP to strengthen staff capacities on how project implementation and supervision of their respective programmes/projects can improve impact. Lead teams to improve the design of initiatives, enabling better selection and eventual use of progress and performance data for adaptive management and ultimately better impact.
• Promotes the awareness and understanding of the shared responsibility for programme monitoring and reporting among all staff members through communication, training, learning and development activities.
• Strengthens UNEP transparency action through the International Aid Transparency Initiative (IATI) engagement and the development and improvement of the UNEP Open Data Portal.
• Contributes to strategic planning exercises for the development of Programmes of Work and the Medium-Term Strategies, as well as strategic framework documents for the UN Secretariat in New York.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.