The Public Affairs and Communications Strategist, Washington, D.C. Regional Office and Toxics Program develops and supports strategic partnerships to enhance the advocacy capacity of the clients and partners that Earthjustice works alongside the Public Affairs and Communications team to develop key narratives and messages for these issues, ensures messaging consistency, and forms and leads teams of Communications colleagues to implement communications plan components —including dynamic storytelling and media and public outreach. The strategist partners work with their respective regional offices and programs, to draft and lead communications and public affairs strategy for regional casework, and local and state-level policy work. The strategist will focus on industrial air/water pollution and other toxic emissions, chemical pollution safeguards, and the electrification of economies with renewable energy. Partnership capacity building including media training, strategy development and resource support is also part of this job.
The candidate will work in coordination with program staff, clients and partners, coalitions to help strengthen and develop their advocacy and policy goals. D.C. residents preferred. D.C. metropolitan area residents considered. May be remote from D.C. metro area.
Strategy & Coordination (40%)
- Partners with the Managing Attorneys for the Washington, D.C. Regional Office and Toxic Health and Exposure Program, and other key lawyers and policy staff, to set communication priorities and develop strategies that advance Earthjustice’s goals.
- Collaborates across the Public Affairs and Communications team to coordinate messaging and develop and implement comprehensive and creative advocacy communications strategies.
- Works with partners, clients, and coalitions on joint advocacy and communication campaigns, issue education, engagement and mobilization, and paid, owned, and earned media.
- Identifies potential partnerships with local organizations in the Gulf and Appalachia.
- Develops strategy documents and timelines, manages budgets, and tracks metrics to determine effectiveness, ensure accountability, and inform future strategy. Sets achievable measurements of success and strives to meet these goals.
Media Relations (30%)
- Works with traditional and new media to ensure coverage of Earthjustice’s work in target print, television, radio, and online media; maintains knowledge of and relationships with reporters covering key issues; and coordinates press events and other earned media opportunities.
- Creates and implements paid media strategies on key priorities.
- Works with our legal and policy staff to consistently improve and polish their media and social media skills, including spokesperson prep for priority media interviews.
- Works to elevate the voices of Earthjustice partners and clients in the press and contributes to coalition media efforts.
- May provide strategic direction to media relations specialist when collaborating on earned media work.
Content Creation and Branding (25%)
- Drives storytelling projects involving our clients and affected communities and consistently seeks out new and compelling ways to tell and amplify these stories.
- Drafts content for the Earthjustice blog, website and print materials.
- Develops internal message guidance for colleagues as needed.
- Reviews, edits, and approves content and materials developed by Communications team members to ensure it adheres to brand standards and furthers strategic communications goals for the organization.
- Manages project budgets and contractor invoices.
- Reports on analytics.