The Public Affairs and Communications Strategist serves as the liaison to the Fossil Fuels Program and the Gulf Regional Office. This role supports Earthjustice’s work to stop fossil fuel and petrochemical expansion, protect public health and cut pollution in frontline communities, and drive an equitable transition to clean energy. This person works directly with the Public Affairs and Communications Officer, Climate & Energy to coordinate on intersecting national issues to adopt consistent framing, messaging, and narrative lens to our work.
Candidates willing to work from our Houston office under our hybrid model are strongly preferred. We will also consider remote candidates in New Orleans, Chicago, Ohio, Pennsylvania, or West Virginia.
Strategy & Coordination (40%)
- Partners with the Managing Attorneys for the Fossil Fuel Program and Gulf Regional Office, and other key lawyers and policy staff, to set communication priorities and develop strategies that advance Earthjustice’s goals.
- Collaborates across the Public Affairs and Communications team to coordinate messaging and develop and implement comprehensive and creative advocacy communications strategies.
- Works with partners, clients, and coalitions on joint advocacy and communication campaigns, issue education, engagement and mobilization, and paid, owned, and earned media.
- Identifies potential partnerships with local organizations in the Gulf and Appalachia.
- Develops strategy documents and timelines, manages budgets and tracks metrics to determine effectiveness, ensure accountability, and inform future strategy. Sets achievable measurements of success and strives to meet these goals.
Media Relations (30%)
- Works with traditional and new media to ensure coverage of Earthjustice’s work in target print, television, radio, and online media; maintains knowledge of and relationships with reporters covering key issues; and coordinates press events and other earned media opportunities.
- Creates and implements paid media strategies on key priorities.
- Works with our legal and policy staff to consistently improve and polish their media and social media skills, including spokesperson prep for priority media interviews.
- Works to elevate the voices of Earthjustice partners and clients in the press and contributes to coalition media efforts.
- May provide strategic direction to media relations specialist when collaborating on earned media work.
Content Creation and Branding (25%)
- Drives storytelling projects involving our clients and affected communities and consistently seeks out new and compelling ways to tell and amplify these stories.
- Drafts content for the Earthjustice blog, website and print materials.
- Develops internal message guidance for colleagues as needed.
- Reviews, edits, and approves content and materials developed by Communications team members to ensure it adheres to brand standards and furthers strategic communications goals for the organization.
- Manages project budgets and contractor invoices.
- Reports on analytics.