NRDC is seeking a Scientist, Oil and Gas Analyst to work with the Dirty Energy team in any of our offices located in Washington DC, San Francisco, Bozeman, Santa Monica, Chicago or New York. The Scientist will serve as a technical expert for the Nature Program on oil and gas exploration and production activities and related carbon emission issues. Leads and supports advocacy efforts to reduce the environmental and health impacts of oil and gas production and assist in advocacy efforts that will lead to the meaningful curtailment of fossil fuel production.
- Help shape NRDC’s positions and policies related to fossil fuels.
- Serve as a technical expert and advisor on oil and gas production activities, technologies, and impacts, and geologic sequestration of carbon dioxide.
- Lead projects and specific advocacy efforts aimed at reducing the environmental impacts of oil and gas production including impacts to water, air, land, human health, and climate at both the state and federal level.
- Provide scientific expertise in support of advocacy for the incorporation of best management practices and best available technology into federal and state regulations and environmental statutes.
- Advocate for the use of solid science both within NRDC and in external stakeholder discussions and groups.
- Engage in outreach to the scientific community to keep up-to-date with and encourage research into the environmental impacts of oil and gas development and solutions for those impacts.
- Maintain and strengthen contacts within the oil and gas industry to encourage support for and use of best management practices and best available technology to mitigate environmental impacts.
- Represent NRDC at scientific meetings, workshops, and conferences.
- Lead writing of technical comments for rulemakings and related activities (e.g. EPA hydraulic fracturing study, BLM hydraulic fracturing rules, CA well stimulation rules, BLM and EPA methane rule, etc.)
- Act as point in advising and providing expert analysis in evaluating the environmental and technical performance issues associated with oil and gas permitting proposals and related resource planning (particularly in the context of the National Environmental Policy Act).
- Assist in efforts to analyze lifecycle greenhouse gas emissions of fossil fuel development and help advance policies that align with the science of reducing and eliminating emissions.
- Aid in fundraising efforts related to core job responsibilities.
- List of job responsibilities, function, duties this role will be accountable for.