In preparation for the Project Preparation Grant (PPG) phase, the Food and Agriculture Organization, in collaboration with the Government of the Philippines will develop the full project document in alignment with the national priorities and GEF8 programming directions. Project preparation activities will include desk review as well as multi-stakeholder consultations, with support from the Representation Office, to ensure the involvement of key stakeholders in the project design process and generate commitments both at the national and local levels.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the FAO Representative in the Philippines, the direct supervision of the Assistance FAO Representative for Programme. S/he will work under the technical supervision of the FAO’s Lead Technical Officer, GEF Technical Officer (GEF Coordination Unit), with support from the International GEF Expert will undertake the following tasks:
- With support from the Representation Office and the International GEF Expert, support the preparation of the PPG implementation plan,. The plan will guide the PPG implementation team in ensuring that all pertinent information, analysis, data, stakeholder engagement, and other information required for the formulation of the project document are completed in a timely and professional manner. The plan will also include a listing of information needs, and target dates for the deliverables by the team.
- Support the International GEF expert in the project design team formation and their orientation to ensure that the entire PPG team are familiar with the proposed project concept, GEF requirements, key FAO concepts and requirements relevant to the project, as well as the comments/concerns from the GEFSEC and STAP that needs to be addressed during the project design phase.
- With guidance from the International GEF expert and inputs from other PPG team members, support the preparation of the the development of the project landscape assessment report including the environmental threats, baseline initiatives and barriers to address the environmental threats in the project site. This also includes the gathering of relevant geophysical and social information, including the sourcing of detailed GIS base maps as well as the liaising with national and local project partners and stakeholders.
- With guidance from the International GEF expert and in consultation with government partners and PPG team members, provide assistance in the conduct of national and local consultations to aid in the identification of priorities and pre-selection of possible project sites and validation of proposed interventions based on technical expertise
- Provide technical inputs, based on technical expertise to relevant sections of the project document to ensure that the overall project design reflects and integrates a strong understanding of existing Biodiversity (BD), Land Degradation (LD), and Climate Change (CC) challenges and opportunities related to the achievement of the project objectives.
- In consultation with the PPG team and project partners, provide support on the preparation the Results Framework, including the BD, LD, and CC indicators and targets, baseline information for relevant indicators, means of measurements, risks, and assumptions.
- In consultation with the PPG team and project partners, provide inputs in the development of an effective monitoring and evaluation framework and implementation strategy which incorporates gender and safeguards consideration.
- Provide inputs in the finalization of the sustainability plan, which outlines the principles and guidelines for ensuring long term sustainability of project achievements. The plan should also outline an exit strategy, seeking continuation of key activities/achievements without the need of long-term international financing.
- Provide assistance to the National Project Development Coordinator in facilitating consultations on co-financing arrangements as well as in obtaining co-financing commitments from relevant project partners;
- With support from International GEF Expert, provide inputs through the Representation Office in responding to GEFSEC review comments upon project document submission to GEF; and
- Carry out other relevant duties within his/her technical competence as requested by FAO.
- Advanced university degree in environmental science, natural resource management, and related field.
- At least twelve (12) years of professional experience in multifocal environmental project design for international cooperation funding, such as for GEF portfolio
- National of the country
- Working knowledge of English