The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP’s Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition.
This position is located in the Ecosystems Division at the Geneva duty station. The incumbent of the position reports to the Head of the Biodiversity and Land Branch and will be responsible for the following duties:
• Directing substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., including proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc. This includes the high-level TEEB (The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity) Advisory Board.
• Managing outreach activities; design of and conducting training workshops, seminars, etc., making presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Leading field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
• Coordinating activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and ensures preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
• Serving as an effective spokesperson and establishing collaboration and partnerships with key officials at all levels inside and outside the organization.
• Ensuring effective utilization, supervision and development of staff; guiding, evaluating and mentoring staff.
• Taking the lead in developing, implementing and evaluating assigned programmes/projects for the Ecosystem Services Economics Unit and for The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity (TEEB); directing subordinates in programme/project development, implementation, monitoring and assessment; directing review of relevant documents and reports; identifying priorities, problems and issues to be addressed and proposing corrective actions; liaising with relevant parties; identifying and initiating follow-up actions.
• Ensuring implementation of gender mainstreaming guidelines by assessing the implications for men and women of any planned action, including legislation, policies or programmes, in all areas and at all levels.
• Directing research and programme evaluation and presenting information gathered from diverse sources on inter alia TEEB for Agriculture and Food; TEEB for Oceans and Coasts and the valuation and policy mainstreaming components of ecosystem accounting under the System of Environmental Economic Accounting (SEEA).
• Coordinating policy development; reviewing the assessments of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or research activities and studies.
• Undertaking survey initiatives; guiding design of data collection instruments; reviewing, analyzing and interpreting responses, identifying problems/issues and preparing conclusions.
• Supervising preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
• Performing other related duties as required.