The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit environmental advocacy organization that uses law, science, and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet’s wildlife and wild places and to ensure the rights of all people to clean air, clean water, and healthy communities. NRDC was founded in 1970 and its staff helped write some of America’s bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations. Today, NRDC’s staff of more than 700 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy advocates, communications experts, and others work across the United States and internationally from offices in New York; Washington, D.C.; Chicago; Santa Monica; San Francisco; Bozeman, Montana; and Beijing.
The NRDC Action Fund is seeking a Social Media Manager to work with other Content and Communications staff in either New York City or Washington, DC. This role is for a communications expert with experience in political social media advocacy and content creation to oversee the NRDC Action Fund’s Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts. The Social Media Manager will ensure that these channel strategies align with larger social media and communications strategy objectives while delivering on distinct regional and federal political advocacy goals. This position will work collaboratively with a team of social media experts.
- Oversees and maintains social posting schedule for the NRDC Action Fund’s Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter feeds
- Works collaboratively with NRDC’s social media managers across regional and federal advocacy campaigns to identify moments of engagement for social audiences
- Develops and schedules narratives and content for the NRDC Action Fund’s key advocacy campaigns
- Works with NRDC Action Fund communications staff to develop press releases, blogs, and other materials into concise and compelling social content
- Identifies high-impact opportunities to increase the visibility of the NRDC Action Fund’s work and position the NRDC Action Fund as a thought leader
- Follows organizational social media messaging guidance to create posts in moments of breaking news and crisis
- Provides occasional off-hour coverage for key political moments and events
- Ensures that the NRDC Action Fund’s social narratives and tactics are aligned with Action Fund positions and strategies and key channel audiences and goals
- Regularly works with Communications colleagues who monitor audience data and performance analytics to determine success of social media campaigns in reaching and engaging key audiences for each platform
- Monitors social media trends and emerging practices to evaluate and recommend new tactics and platforms
- Directs the work of external vendors
- Works with digital advocacy and campaign organizers to develop and run paid ad campaigns for maximum impact