The South Africa Oceans Program Manager will lead design, development, and implementation of TNC’s activities in support of protection, science, stewardship, and community relations for the coastal and marine areas of South Africa. This includes advancing the role of marine spatial planning at EEZ scale, strengthening opportunities for and commitments to expansion of marine protected areas, and helping connect activities in South Africa to regional conservation outcomes within the relevant large marine ecosystems. The role will also advance TNC’s work in support of livelihood resilience through key engagements with coastal fishing communities. Working closely with TNC’s Africa and Global Oceans Teams, this position will report to the Africa Oceans Strategy Director and will be based at the TNC office in Cape Town, South Africa. This is an initial one-year contract with possibility for extension dependent on funding. No employment visas or assistance is being offered with this position except for the local labor employment requirements.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Manage the establishment and elaboration of the Oceans Program for South Africa, consistent with the Africa Oceans Strategy.
- Lead TNC’s support for and relationship with national government with aim to assist national ocean conservation priorities and objectives.
- Advancing national level planning efforts that increase ocean conservation outcomes, including climate mitigation and resilience plans, marine spatial plans, and coastal zone plans.
- Supports efforts to create and advance community-based strategies for better managed coastal fisheries and marine areas.
- Assists in developing reports, presentations, and assessments on related topics, as well as internal and external communications materials that reflect the program’s objectives and priorities.
- Leads and manages local project team to support and improve marine conservation efforts.
- Works within a budget to complete projects, negotiates and contracts with vendors and assists with budget development.
- Supports fundraising by contributing to proposals and representing the Africa Ocean Program where/when needed.
- Responsible for ensuring that public and private funds are raised to meet program needs.
- Builds cooperation from outside parties and strategic partnerships to accomplish program goals.
- May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain and under physically demanding circumstances.
- Frequently makes independent decision based on analysis, experience, and context.