NRDC is seeking a Western Regional Communications Manager to work with the Communications team in our Los Angeles or San Francisco office.
NRDC is seeking a Western Regional Communications Manager to focus on developing and executing media strategies to advance our legislative, environmental and advocacy priorities in western states, with particular focus on California, Colorado, and New Mexico. The position reports directly to NRDC’s Western Media Director to develop proactive communications plans, messaging strategy and press materials that achieve media results, support advocacy goals and promote NRDC’s experts as leaders in local, regional and national environmental policy, litigation, and advocacy space. The position will function within the institution’s media team, working in close coordination with campaigners from NRDC’s Center for Political Advocacy, to elevate NRDC’s profile in these states and attract new supporters and allies to our advocacy efforts. This individual must possess a strong work ethic and commitment to NRDC’s core values and mission. They will identify and work with local, national and sometimes international media outlets and cultivate relationships with reporters, bloggers, editors and other media professionals to publicize and communicate NRDC’s strategic priorities. The Western Regional Communications Manager will also coordinate closely with various coalitions to advance NRDC’s work.
- Manage media operations for targeted state and local campaigns.
- Develop, disseminate, and coordinate with Communications colleagues on production of diverse communication tools, including, but not limited to, press pitches, editorial board memos, press releases, statements, Op-Eds, paid media, and some digital materials.
- Coordinate with Regional Campaign Director on regional campaign efforts.
- Work with Communications, legal, scientific and other advocacy program staff to develop effective message and communications strategies.
- Develop key relationships with press and secure top tier media hits.
- Respond in real time to media inquiries on a range of issues.
- Drive coordination and development of emerging messaging opportunities.
- Potentially manage external vendors.
- Collaborate with other environmental groups in joint coalition efforts.
- Act as on-the-record spokesperson for NRDC as needed.
- Provide media relations coaching and training to staff and prepare NRDC experts for interviews and other public appearances.
- Other duties as defined by the Western Media Director.