The African Union Green Recovery Action Plan lays out the ambition for African countries to tackle the combined challenges of COVID-19 recovery and climate change. The action plan presents critical areas of action in priority sectors such as climate finance, renewable energy, nature-based solutions (NbS), resilient agriculture and cities, land use and biodiversity. A number of countries and even multilateral development banks (MDB) have developed ambitious green recovery plans consequently. In complement, WWF’s report on Africa in the context of COVID-19, and its ‘Building Forward Better’ policy analysis for the Eastern Africa Community, builds concrete cases for nature positive investment, with recommendations and advice for policymakers across the continent that can be built into these green recovery plans.
Where are these green recovery plans? To what extent have these plans captured or mirrored these key features and recommendations? What are the various support programmes available to activate and/or accelerate the implementation of these green recovery plans? How can a win-win and robust implementation of the various green recovery action plan be ensured to benefit every stakeholder on the African continent?
These questions form the thrust of this webinar. The webinar is part of a webinar series entitled “Mainstreaming Natural Capital in Africa’s post-COVID19 Development Agenda” organised by the Joint Implementation Committee of the Natural Capital for African Development Finance (NC4-ADF) programme in collaboration with the African Union Commission (AUC) and the UNFCCC Regional Collaboration Centre, Kampala.
- Mr. Mohamed Awer, CEO, WWF Kenya
- Ms. Margaret M. Barihaihi, Regional Manager Africa (Anglo and Lusophone), NDC Partnership Support Unit, NDC Partnership
- Mr. John J. Maughan, Research Programme Manager, Green Growth Knowledge Partnership (GGKP) and Co-Chair, NC4-ADF Programme
- Ms. Leah Wanambwa Naess, Senior Policy Officer, Directorate of Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy, Africa Union Commission (AUC)
- Mr. Suriya Mues, Regional Lead, UNFCCC Regional Collaboration Centre, Kampala
- Dr. Vanessa Ushie, Manager, Policy Analysis Division, African Natural Resources Centre, AfDB, and Co-Chair, NC4-ADF Programme